I was hunting for some images to convert into greebles/icons to mount on various pieces of scenery. These are from a mixture of Yeggi and Thingiverse sources and depict a range from the Adeptus Mechanicus chapter as well as the Astartes' Aquilla. These are all fully scalable and so they (along with others for the Arbites, Inquisition and various chapters) will be used to give additional detailing to models where needed.
They were all printed in PLA on the Creality CR-10 at 0.2mm using a 10% infill and the sharpness/thinness of the Aquilla detail is pretty damned scary considering it measures a mere 5cm from wingtip to wingtip and it's printed on such a massive machine!
Speaking of buildings to mount the greebles and icons on to...
This is the Gothic Sci-Fi armoury building from Printable Scenery.
The main building was printed in one piece and the roof is made up of six smaller sections that I have superglued together.
Whilst I appreciate the fact that the roof comes in sections so that you can add in/swap out parts (such as gun emplacements, etc.) I wish it had a 'one-piece' version to speed up printing.
This was done on the Creality CR-10 in PLA using a 0.2mm layer height and 10% infill.
Here are some tokens that I made for Shadow War: Armageddon. I made them, not because the ones included with the game aren't good, rather because I suffer from Auldtimers Disease and Blindbuggeritis and so like things a tad... simpler. Also, in the game, when a figure is hit they can become pinned or downed and are laid face up or down on the table. This is fine enough for smaller minis or ones on round bases but is problematic for large ones or ones on lozenge-shaped bases and so I created the 'Pinned' and 'Downed' tokens to place alongside a standing mini.
The tokens are 20mm in diameter and have a 3mm raised rim around embossed lettering. To make things stand out and because I don't have a dual extruder printer (yet LOL), I just painted the surface of the lettering.
The tokens represent:
P = Pinned
D = Downed
R = Ran
H = Hidden
B = Broken
X = Out of Ammo
OW = Overwatch
They were printed in PLA on the Creality CR-10 at 0.2mm layer height using a 0.4mm nozzle.
Here's a couple of photos of the "not-a-Rhino" that I printed for a friend. He was after a Rhino for use with his 30K pre-civil war Space Wolves and knowing how much he loves to kit-bash stuff I thought I'd help him out.
Unfortunately, I don't play Warhammer 40K so what he actually ended up with was my version of a Land Raider cobbled together from 3 or 4 online designs. He seemed happy enough with it though and so I left him to it. Within a couple of days he had turned the pile of bits into this...
Well done Loupis, crackin' job sir!
So when I called in to see my buddy Loupis for a cuppa (and to photograph his painted Land Raider, see above) I also used the opportunity to try assembling/laying out some of the scenery I have been printing for Shadow War: Armageddon alongside some of his Space Wolves to gauge scale and possible skirmish area sizes.
This is about 70% of what I have printed so far which in turn is less than half of what is currently on my 'to-print' list, let alone the stuff that comes in the GW SW:Ag box set. I've invested in two 6'x3' tables - Loupis thinks I may need more tables...
Test Batch - OpenLock Floor Tiles
Having printed off a few (OK, maybes more than a few, actually over 120!) floor tiles, traps, walls and doors from the most excellent Printable Scenery company's range, I figured it was time to try a test batch.
This is a leftover stack of standard 10'x10' floor tiles that I have magnetized using rare earth magnetic balls. They stack well and snap together super quickly and sturdily - just what you need when you have to quickly lay down some floor space in a hurry.
I've begun hand-priming the leftover tiles and walls, etc. ready to test the colour scheme/techniques I'll use once Vontravelle is done black-bombing (spray painting) the rest.
Just for giggles I laid some of them out to see what they will (sort of) look like in play.
Waiting on the first batch of test pieces to dry.
The next step is to tidy up the edges (by touching up the black) and then applying a clear matt varnish to protect them.
The three non-tile items are mini projects - two clusters of spider eggs and an alien egg sac/spore pod.
More on those later...
So last night (or rather, stupid o'clock this morning) I was browsing through Thingiverse when I stumbled upon this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2140897
I've come across miniature holders before (indeed, I'm expecting delivery of some wooden ones that I backed as a Kickstarter any day now) but it was the shape of this one that caught my eye.
As I read on, I learned that it was a remix of someone else's design, a common experience on Thingiverse and something that is encouraged (I do like the community's "pick it up and run with it" attitude to sharing designs) but what really grabbed my attention was the fact that the designer incorporated magnets. These not only allow for a solid grip between the base and the holder but they also mean that you can rotate the base to help reach all of the model without any painful hand contortions or wrist gymnastics.
It took all of two hours to print the parts on the CR-10, superglue the handle to the base and then the two magnets - one in the base, the other in the holder.
Here's my printed version in action and I can attest to the fact that the handle is surprisingly comfortable to grip and does the job exceedingly well.
A saltbeard Grognard who's glad he never grew up enough to lose his imagination.