Dynamic Elemental on the CR-10
After getting such good results with the 'Bobbing Cat' test print on the CR-10, I decided I needed to try something else. Something less polished. Something with more angles. Something that I might actually want to use on the tabletop.
Cue the Elemental Golem dynamic pose & base by MalastrumDominiSui
This time I sliced the file myself in Simplify3D. (www.simplify3d.com)
I didn't scale it at all and the printed model came out at around 45mm x 65mm or what I would class as Ogre-sized (a 10'x10' base creature if played at 25mm-28mm scale).
Not knowing how good/bad it would be, I elected to just print it at 0.2mm layer height rather than the 0.1mm or 0.15mm layer height that was recommended.
I got Simplify3D to auto-generate the supports (just in case) and set it away. A little over an hour and a quarter later it had finished and I popped it off the bed and removed the support material and what little stringing/whisps there was around the points/spikes, etc.
After priming it black, I hit the (very nicely textured base) with a 90% coverage of Burnt Umber. The rest of the model got the same kind of rough base-coating (90%) but this time in Slate Grey.
I gave it 15 minutes of drying time and then did a very rough bit of 50% coverage to both base and model using Mocca Brown and Storm Grey respectively. I painted the inner mouth by wet-blending Red, Orange and Yellow (paint the majority of the area red first, then apply some orange to the middle 2/3rds and finally paint yellow into the middle - all while wet) to give it a molten magma look. The teeth were painted using a Pearlescent Metallic White to simulate crystals/diamonds, etc. The eyes were just red with a yellow pupil.
After another 15 minutes of drying time I then did some rough dry-brushing - Light Grey for the model and Light Tan for the base.
Once it had 10 minutes to dry, I hit the entire thing (base and all) with a dark wash (in my case I used Army Painter Strong Tone) and allowed it to dry overnight.
Next day I did a final light dusting of dry-brushing (same colours as previous dry-brushing) and then called it done.
In total I would estimate that it took less than 20 minutes of actual painting time (ignoring the drying time, since I would usually be painting multiple figures and not waiting around for paint to dry) and for a first attempt on a medium resolution print, I think it turned out OK.
I'm very pleased with the actual model file and I can see me printing this one again (probably in either 0.1 or 0.15mm layer height) and maybes going for whites/blues to make it an Ice Elemental.
A saltbeard Grognard who's glad he never grew up enough to lose his imagination.