The Beast!... It lives!!!
Thanks to some much appreciated help from a friend today (cheers Vontravelle), I finally had the Creality CR-10 3D printer fully assembled.
Having given up on the terribad instructions that came on the SD card that was shipped with it, we used the excellent User Manual for the Afinibot A31 which is (as far as I can tell) pretty much identical. Either way, it did the trick and this is the end result.
BTW, that teeny thing on the print bed is a 28mm figure.
After getting the bed levelled for the first time and a quick spray of 3Dlac onto the glass plate, it was time to give it it's very first print job - a maneki-neko (or bobbing cat) model, as supplied in gcode format on the CR-10's SD card.
Now it's usually at this point that you can tell if things have been connected/squared up properly - luckily nothing went BANG, so score! After a few minutes of anxiously watching it print, it looked as if the extra time spent levelling the bed had paid off and the print was sticking down fine and the layers were forming nicely. Then it was just a matter of waiting for the print to run it's course.
I hadn't altered the gcode at all so the settings were all as it came (which might explain the longish print time of 3.5 hours) but when it was finally complete, I found this sitting on the glass plate.
I'm VERY impressed with the crispness of the print detail (and more than a little surprised at just how detailed the actual model is) - it's just a shame that my crappy phone shot of the glossy white surfaces don't do it full justice. There are absolutely no flaws, shifts or blemishes on it.
A saltbeard Grognard who's glad he never grew up enough to lose his imagination.